Wednesday 14 February 2018

Spring, spring, spring. Spring?

The new Team is now ready to roll.  It was inspiring to interview many like-minded people, some of whom probably know more than I do about soil and such things as they have degrees in Environmental Studies, etc.   Each chosen member is enthusiastic, ready to learn, ready to share and raring to get their hands and feet deep into the soil. 

But first things first.  I’ve begun many seedlings myself to get a jump on the long-growing vegetables like hot peppers, onions, some herbs and flowers as well as the continuing supply of microgreens and sprouts - to the point where we need to build more shelves this weekend.  Each new Day Brightener will join me for a few days in March and then we’ll be in full swing by the beginning of April when we’ll start tomatoes, sweet peppers and everything else in the greenhouse. 

It's always exciting when those first seeds germinate. 
Here are some lettuce mixes I'm testing. 
and of course, the first hot peppers of the year.



As I say every year at this time “And so it begins again”.  Days are definitely getting longer, nights shorter and excitement around here is rising for the upcoming growing season. 















We're currently putting together a brochure/pamphlet with information about Day Brighteners Farm, a General Price List, some lovely pictures of what grows here and Upcoming Events such as the annual Sustainability Fair to be held April 22 for Earth Day, a Garden Tour here in the height of growing season, Customer Appreciation Day in the fall and I’m thinking of some teaching sessions.  I’m very happy (and relieved) that the seeds I saved and have tested so far are viable.  If you’re interested in a Seed Swap let me know. 

When we were sowing microgreen seeds at the school, I offered the kids a choice between sunflower seeds and pea seeds.  Each group made their choice until a group asked if they could have both.  I hadn’t thought of that.  I know they grow at different rates but let them go ahead with it anyway.  I’m always saying that gardening is full of experiments, so why not.  I also discovered this about you a few weeks ago when I had a variety of microgreens.  Some of you asked for a mix.  I wouldn’t have thought to do that yet this year.  So this week you can have a mix too. 

Here's a picture of those little baby chickens at age almost four months.  Spring must be soon as we got two eggs this week.  I can’t even remember the last time I held an egg from our own girls. 
We think the largest white and brown one is a rooster. 
And there's a little frizzle hiding behind the others.

As promised last week, this week’s menu is larger and will continue to be so each week from here on (basil is doing great so pesto will be coming soon).  Here's what's to eat this week:

Granola, with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
Granola, with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar  
Hummus:   chickpeas*, tahini*, olive oil*, lemon juice*, roasted garlic*, a teeny bit of hot pepper flakes* and cumin  (*organic)  $5 250/mL jar   
MICROGREENS:  $2 / bag
Kale
Radish
Curly Cress
MICROGREEN MIX:  (kale, radish, curly cress, red orach, mustard)  $3 / bag
SHOOTS, Sunflower  $2 / bag
SPROUTS, Broccoli Brassica Blend (broccoli, broccoli raab, radish, mustard & arugula)  $3 / bag
SPROUTS, Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)  $3 / bag
SPROUTS, Spring Salad Mix  (broccoli, radish, red clover & alfalfa)  $3 / bag
Tomato Sauce  $6 /500mL jar  sealed
Tomatoes, cherry, dehydrated  $2 /snack bag
Tomatoes, frozen   $4 /4Cup package  great for sauces and soups
Tomatoes, Gardeners’ Delight (ping pong ball size) frozen whole  $3 pound

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  

Until next post, have a great every day.

Jo
joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment