Wednesday 28 February 2018

Chipmunks, Geese, soft ground - could it be?


Be still my heart, and my hands and my head to keep me from planting outside.  We get fooled every year at this time before we get pummelled with yet another s--- storm (I can’t say it).  I hope you are enjoying every moment of this wonderful weather.  It’s so nice to not scrape, defrost, shovel and preheat vehicles before going out, not to mention the lack of clothing layers.  I notice some birds are singing their song.  Oh and we definitely have a rooster in our little cluster of new chickens.  He is so beautiful and pretty gentle.  

This big boy is crowing loud and strong now.

The frizzle’s feathers have come in and he/she is pretty crazy looking, but cute as anything as you can see.


The hot pepper seedlings are now growing their second leaves and the most recently planted are sprouting their first.  We’ll be up-potting them next week, which means 72 seedlings from one tray will need four trays of 18 pots each, which means more shelves!  The plant rooms smells like spring so it must be spring. 

We’ll encourage anything currently growing in the greenhouse to get a move on and grow quicklier and will also be starting new seedlings to transplant. 

We were at EcoFarmDay in Cornwall on the weekend where we listened to a couple from the Finger Lakes area in New York talk about transitioning from conventional farming to organic.  It’s always good to chat it up with the suppliers of organic materials at the trade show in between sessions, like the Biemonds with their yoghurt and cheese, Norm from Multi-Shelter Greenhouses, Julie from Spread-X who deliver our organic compost, Homestead Organics, Canadian Organic Growers and so many more. 

I became a member of The Organic Council of Ontario at this event.  In one of the sessions this day, there was an entire discussion, as there have been several in the past, of simplifying organic certification for smaller farms, like Day Brighteners.  I’ve not felt the need, through your reassurance each year, to become certified, but I am definitely interested in the process, just in case.  From what I understand it is quite expensive and there’s a truck load of paperwork involved.  I plan to attend an evening at Just Food in March which will go through the process and then I can decide if this is right for me. 

Much of the discussion was about the wording of Organics.  Many of us feel that you, the consumers, are confused by the wording.  In your delivery this week, I will put some postcards with words you recognize and may or may not understand completely, and which will lead you to the OCO (Organic Council of Ontario) website where, if you’re interested, you can learn more about all of this kerfuffle.  Hell, if I’m confused, you must be too.  If I don’t become certified soon, I won’t be able to use the word “organic” in any form for my produce.  Let me know what you think. 

Meanwhile back at the farm, we have several pots on the stove and are very excited to begin a new growing season. 

One thing I must respectfully remind you of is that we are growing mainly for those of you who let me know what you would like best to eat and how often.  If you choose to order from the menu I send out each week, food will first be disbursed amongst our regular steady customers.  It’s at this time of year, if you would like to be a regular steady customer, you should let me know before we begin seeding, planting, growing, weeding, picking, sorting, packing and processing.  I love it when everyone who orders gets their complete wish list delivered to them. 

I was at Holy Cross Elementary School this morning with the Kindergartens, saw what has developed since the kids started their pea and sunflower shoots, showed them which they could eat and which should be transplanted.  We took a tour of the outside to make planning a bit easier.  I left some seed catalogues which should encourage them once they see pictures of the beautiful foods they’ll grow. 

Beautiful foods available to you this week are:
GRANOLA:
 with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
 with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar  
MICROGREENS:  $2 / bag
  Curly Cress
  Kale
  Pea Shoots
  Radish
  Red Cabbage
  Sunflower Shoots
MICROGREEN MIX:  (arugula, carrot, curly cress, kale, leaf lettuce, purple basil, radish, red cabbage,)  $3 / bag
SPROUTS  $3 / bag
  Broccoli (just broccoli)
  Broccoli Brassica Blend (broccoli, broccoli raab, radish, mustard & arugula)
  Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
  Spring Salad Mix  (broccoli, radish, red clover & alfalfa) 
Tomato Sauce  $6 /500mL jar  sealed
Tomatoes, frozen   $4 /4Cup package  great for sauces and soups
Tomatoes, Gardeners’ Delight (ping pong ball size) frozen whole  $3 pound

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  

Thanks.

Until next post, have a great every day. 

Jo
joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment