Wednesday 26 July 2017

Hooray for Raised Beds


Raised beds are our salvation this year.  I knew they were a lot of work when we originally started the gardens.  There was some complaining from the boys a few years ago, but I insisted we plod along and get the twenty-five 50’ long, the eighteen 100’ and the five 60’ rows, all 30” across, done.  I wanted the hills to be high enough that we didn’t have to dig deep down to plant our beloved seedlings.  It turns out I didn’t realize how making those “hills” would be the best thing we could have done to ensure the growth and non-drowning of our tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, herbs, onions, peas and beans this year. 

Aside from the lack of sunshine, the tomatoes are growing at an alarming rate.  I can’t count how many times we say “These tomato plants are crazy” when we’re pruning them.  There are so many tomatoes.  I understand the plants have sent out an “SOS” message and are producing like crazy, but it still is amazing to see it happening.  Some are starting to show their true colours, particularly the purple ones.

I received a good response on facebook yesterday when I posted free carrot thinnings/tops.  If you missed it, it will happen again soon with the next round of carrots.  I do believe we’ll be eating lovely fresh carrots in a couple or a few weeks.  The beets are growing sporadically as we planted them that way and will continue until end of summer, whenever summer gets here. 

I am really banking on a long warm fall this year – oh please let it be a long warm fall.  None of this below zero temperature at the beginning of September, then another to finish off our food. 

The Salad Greens – what can I say – they absolutely Love the cloudy days, cool nights and are thankful for all the water.  I have yet to turn on the irrigation system in the gardens.  I have used it a couple of times in the greenhouses, but not lately as the ground is flooded in there.  I actually have bruises on my shins from my rainboots, which I wear just about every day. 

The cucumber plants now have cucumbers on them.  What a relief.  We had no cucumbers last year since we didn’t put the plants in until the end of summer.  No matter what job you do, there is never quite enough time to get everything done, right?  Last month we put a priority on making sure those cukes were planted and made trellises for them to climb.  We’re good now and looking forward to that first juicy crunchy bite. 

We started harvesting the garlic today.  It’s quite a process.  Each bulb and stalk are carefully dug out of the ground, and there are hundreds, fewer than last year, but still hundreds. We gently place the entire stalks with soil still attached on racks in darkness so no bulb is touching another.  They will sit drying and curing for two weeks.  Then we’ll brush off the soil and the outer dirty skins and cut the little root hairs to look pretty and the stalks to about two inches in order to present to you the most lovely, and huge this year, white garlic bulbs.  I’ll let you know as soon as they’re ready to buy. 

Each week now provides us with more wonderfully nutritious food to eat such as:
Beets  $3/pound
Beet Greens  $3 bunch
Celery  $2 bunch
Chard  $3 bag
Edible flowers   $3 bag
Green Onions:  $2 bunch of 10
Herbs, fresh:  basil, bay leaf, chives, citrus thyme, dill, lemon balm, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, savory, thyme  $2 bunch  
Herb Mix: a mix of several fresh herbs  $3 bunch   let me know if there’s an herb you’re not fond of
Kale  $3 bunch
Lettuce heads:  heirloom romaine and iceberg (not like that stuff at the grocery store)  $3 mixed bag   
Mustard Greens   $3 bunch
Onions, white  $2.50/pound
Orach, red  (spinach better for you than spinach)  $3 bag
Salad Greens, washed and table ready:  includes green spinach, strawberry spinach, wild spinach, orach, arugula, parsley, mustard and various soft and crunchy lettuces and other green stuff growing on the property and edible flowers  $5 bag   
Swiss Chard   $3 bunch

Granola, with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
Granola, with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar
I make it fresh when you order  

Pesto, basil  $4.50 125mL jar

Plants, basil:  Genovese, Greek, Lemon   $2 each  

Sunflower Shoots  $2 bag  I add “if they choose to be ready”, but it looks good as of today

I really want to attach pictures but my little digital camera is missing.  I think the cats hid it on me.  I know it’s in the house because I have the memory card from it and I wouldn’t take that out of the camera outside.  If you know where it is, please tell me. 

I grow sprouts for those who have regular weekly delivery.  If you want me to grow some for you, please let me know.  It’s certainly do-able.  I don’t like to waste the seeds if the sprouts aren’t going to be delivered to someone. 

Day Brighteners is a non-certified organic farm, where we practice sustainability and environmentally-friendly farming.  We always use non-GMO and organic/heirloom seeds.  You are very welcome to drop by most days, but if it’s picking/packing/delivery day (Friday) you take your chances on getting the tour.  Calling or emailing first is a good idea.  We do appreciate your business very much and would like to hear from you with any comments or questions you have.  

We deliver to Kemptville and area Friday afternoons to and to Merrickville and Ottawa Saturday or Sunday.  We start picking Thursdays, so please email me or call me by Thursday afternoon for delivery to you.  If you’re outside our delivery range, we’ll make a special plan for you. 
Thank you.  

If you'd like to purchase any of the above items, I'm happy to provide them if available after our regular customers have ordered.  If you want to know how to receive delivery of our nutritional goodness, see Contact information and email or call me.  Thanks.
Until next post, have a great every day.  
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment