Wednesday 17 February 2016

You say you have two Greenhouses?

And where do you hide those greenhouses in the off-season?  Here is a picture of the morning after “the Big Snow”. 




Tom and I removed frost blankets from the raised beds in the Greenhouses the other day, before the snow, and I was thinking how nice the days were longer and whatever plantlings hadn’t died from the winter cold would be happy for the extra daylight.  Well, with the snow cover, it’s darker than night time in the greenhouses now.  The sunshine today and tomorrow and the 5C on Saturday should take care of that issue.

Who has time for such things as sowing seeds and up-potting seedlings when there’s snow to shovel.  Six times yesterday I was out trying to make paths front and back and around the gas tank and oil pipes.  We were low on both.   I didn’t have the heart to call either, but sure enough Levac showed up without a call.  The unplowed driveway didn’t bother their truck in the least.  I also cleared four inches of snow from the van every hour and a half.  It was like a mini-version of Ground Hog Day, the same amount of snow every single time I went out, like I hadn’t already done this, several times.  The snow around the van just kept getting deeper and deeper.  Dennis, not wanting to plow us out several times, came at the end of it all and did a wonderful job so Tom could drive in when he came home.
 
The chickens are funny.  Every time I go into the Pen to exchange their ice-water bucket for a water bucket, they eat the snow I brought in on my boots.  They act like I brought that in for them as a special treat.  I also found out they LOVE sunflower shoots, the ones that grew too tall for us to eat.  They like them almost as much as mealworms. 

There’s a hawk which comes to the front deck railing just outside the living room window and screeches at me regularly.  I was plodding my way through the snow past the front bird feeder this morning and, sure enough, the hawk came to the top of the spiraea bush to catch and collect its prey, two feet beside me.  I clapped my mittened hands and yelled at him/her to go away.  I know the hawk needs to eat, but I’d rather he/she not do so on my watch.  I see a large shadow go by the window every now and then and assume it’s the hawk returning.  Oh well, poor little birds. 

Could I ask a favour of you?  If you eat yoghurt or sour cream or food which comes in white plastic containers, would you mind saving those for me please?  I cut the sides in strips and use them as labels for my plants.  Each time I up-pot a tray of eight 9-cell packs, I go from needing eight labels to needing seventy-two.  That’s a lot of labels.  Thanks.  I can pick them up when I deliver to you next.  I can't have too many.  

The banana “candies” and sunflower shoots last week were very popular, indeed.  Heather  has ordered all of Sunflower Shoots this week.  I’ll make more from now on.   I can’t say the same about the bananas, they’re not always available to me.

And . . . ta da . . . as promised:  Carol Pillar has provided us with information regarding the health benefits of soaking and drying or roasting nuts and seeds.   See separate post titled Seeds and Nuts.

It is this week, as in this evening, Carol is presenting at Heather’s Healthy Harvest in Kemptville.  If you have a concern about your gut health, this would be good information for you. 

I present to you the following goodness for your table this week: 
Eggs  $2.50/half dozen
Herbs, fresh:  Thyme and Citrus Thyme$2 bunch   I’ll have basil and cilantro soon.  

Granola with fruit and nuts
cranberries, two of either pistachios, almonds or cashews-you choose  $10  500mL jar
Granola with fruits  $8 500mL jar 
I’m happy to make some for you if you order it
  
Sprouts:  $3 bag
Ancient Eastern Blend (fenugreek, lentils, kamut & adzuki) 
Crunchy Bean Mix   (peas, lentils and garbanzos)  If you pre-ordered Crunchy Bean Mix Sprouts, I have them for you.  If I put them on the menu, they are extras which I’ve made.    
Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish and mustard) 
Spicy Lentil Crunch  (lentils, red clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
Spring Salad Mix  (broccoli, radish, alfalfa & clover)

Pea Shoots  NEW  $2 bag  They should be ready by Friday, it's my first time growing them

Tomato Sauces:  $6 500mL jar   just did inventory and am down to 27 jars – amazing.
Caesar (somewhat Celery-tastin, it’s good)
Crazy Green (made with ripe Green Zebra tomatoes)
Herb 
Hot (a few hot peppers tossed in)
Hot Plus (with ring-of-fire peppers)
Just Nice  (the right amount of everything, just a pleasant tomato/pizza sauce)
Warm (just a little bitty bit of hot pepper)
Vampire Buster plus Heat (deliciously garlicky with a kick)



If you'd like to purchase any of the above items, I'd be happy to provide them if available after our regular customers have ordered.  Perhaps you might like to be added to our Weekly Delivery List.  I send my email out every Wednesday, collect orders Thursdays and deliver Fridays (or another day convenient to us and you if you're not too close to home).  See Contact information and email or call me.  Thanks.

And remember some of Day Brighteners Farm produce can be found at Heather's Healthy Harvest in Kemptville.  

Until next post, have a great every day.
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment