Wednesday 10 February 2016

Good News Here!

Most of the pepper and edible flower seedlings have their second leaves!!!   Please - try to contain your excitement.  Considering the peppers themselves won’t be ready to eat until mid-summer, it’s a wonderful thing that they’re growing at this rate now.  The plants will be shuffled around from shelf to shelf and moved to taller shelves and up-potted several times and brought into the Greenhouse to grow more before they’re transplanted into the ground.  The trick is to keep them healthy and bug-free for the next two or three months.  The flowers should be ready before the peppers to enjoy mixed into the Salad Greens on occasion. 
 
















The second leaves you can really get excited about are the Salad Greens.  I hope to have Greens to you by next week.
 













I made something special this week – organic banana “candies” (aka dehydrated bananas), nothing added, just organic bananas, dried to sweet crispy chewiness.  They are so delicious, they taste like a banana popsicle but not cold.  These are my new favourite snack food. 

The herbs and little green onions have all germinated and I started more sweet peppers to replace a few that didn’t take, but most of them did.  I really like sweet peppers and want to have enough.  In the next few days, I’ll do up more herbs, flowers and start on the early tomatoes and cauliflower. 

It’s a pleasure to have Carol Pillar working with me on the Farm most of the year.  She stops me in my tracks if I’m eating something in an unhealthy way, but am not aware that I am.  On her recommendation, I’ve been reading about nuts and how much better they are for you when soaked and dried, so am starting to buy only raw nuts and am soaking and dehydrating them for your granola.  I’ve invited Carol Pillar, Holistic Nutritionist, to explain why this is so in my blog next week. 

Carol is giving a talk tonight at Heather’s Healthy Harvest – see poster below.  Perhaps the Happy Gut topic is of interest to you.   


In the meantime, we’re keeping you healthy by adding the following to your daily nutritional food intake:

Banana “candies”  NEW  $2.50 snack bag
Eggs  $2.50/half dozen
Herbs, fresh:  Rosemary, Sage, Thyme and Citrus Thyme$2 bunch 

Granola: with cranberries, pistachios and almonds (or cashews in lieu of pistachios)  $10 500mL jar
                 with fruits  $8 500mL jar 
I will be happy to make some for you if you order it
  
Sprouts:  $3 bag
Ancient Eastern Blend (fenugreek, lentils, kamut & adzuki) 
Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish and mustard) 
Spicy Lentil Crunch  (lentils, red clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
Spring Salad Mix  (broccoli, radish, alfalfa & clover)
Sunflower Shoots NEW  $2 bag

Tomato Sauces:  $6 500mL jar
Caesar (somewhat Celery-tastin, it’s good)
Crazy Green (made with ripe green zebra tomatoes, looks unusual, tastes great)
Hot (a few hot peppers tossed in)
Hot Plus
Just Nice  (the right amount of everything, just a pleasant tomato/pizza sauce)
Roasted Onion 
Warm (just a little bitty bit of hot pepper)
Vampire Buster (deliciously garlicky)

If you'd like to purchase any of the above items, I'd be happy to provide them if available after our regular customers have ordered.  Perhaps you might like to be added to our Weekly Delivery List.  I send my email out every Wednesday, collect orders Thursdays and deliver Fridays (or another day convenient to us and you if you're not too close to home).  See Contact information and email or call me.  Thanks.

And remember some of Day Brighteners Farm produce can be found at Heather's Healthy Harvest in Kemptville.  

Until next post, have a great every day.
Jo




No comments:

Post a Comment