Wednesday 14 March 2018

Jumps and Hurdles


Obstacle - a thing that blocks one's way or prevents or hinders progress. 
We were without a furnace for over two weeks, the first week being quite comfortable, the end of the next week not so much.  I’m happy to have our furnace fixed with the upcoming cooler nights. 

I ordered 100 lovely new 10X10 seedling trays, half with holes, half without holes, for the microgreens so the holey ones could sit in the solid bottomed ones to make watering the microgreens from the bottom easier.  These you can’t buy in Canada so I ordered them from the States.  Unclear in the online description was the fact that the two series which I ordered were not compatible and 10X10 doesn’t always mean 10X10.  I guess it’s like wood as there’s not a 2X4 anymore.  The sizes are just “general”. So I ordered the correct holey trays to fit inside the non-holey ones.  The order wouldn’t come right away as Pennsylvania was expecting a huge snow storm so deliveries would be late. The trays are now here but jeesh, sometimes it’s just not that easy. 

I tried to buy the regular organic dried chick peas for your hummus this week.  Nope, none available until April, maybe.  I have some which I froze right away after cooking the other day so I can make hummus this week.  I’ll search elsewhere in the meantime.  I don’t like using canned.  
  
And, on top of this, my laptop became sick last week, some resuscitation was done on it but, alas, it has expired.  I’ll be picking out a new one next time I’m in town. 
However, this snow will not be an obstacle to block our way or prevent or hinder our progress tomorrow when we’ll be in the greenhouse transplanting lettuces and green onions started indoors a month ago and sowing radishes and spinach.  We cleared tables, brought out a few trays of seedlings, folded frost blankets and row covers and laid out the heat mats which were rolled up really really tightly in the basement since last May.  Once they warm up from the sun they should be more pliable but they fought us pretty hard while we were unrolling them. 

We up-potted even more hot peppers yesterday and sowed some edible flowers, herbs and many more microgreens. 

I’m quite surprised how wet the Broccoli Brassica Blend and Broccoli Sprouts are.  I’m trying to correct this if I can by starting them a day earlier than the rest to see if that makes a difference.  We’ll find out Friday morning when I harvest them.  If you use them for smoothies, the moisture is okay but I’d like them to be somewhat drier for eating on their own or on sandwiches. 

I was unable to buy Spring Salad Mix Sprouts seeds but have a Premium Mix which I haven’t tried before.  It sounds interesting.  Ingredients are listed in the “menu” below.

If you’re on March Break and you ski, you must be laughing in style.  And the mild weather adds to the whole experience. 

I’m back at the school next week and bringing a friend to talk with the kids about Compost.  I’m quite amazed how much these little ones know about the food system – it’s not a secret anymore – hooray for knowledge!

Busy hands have made or will make the following foods for you to enjoy this week:
GRANOLA:
 with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
 with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar  
HUMMUS   chickpeas*, tahini*, olive oil*, lemon juice*, roasted garlic*, a teeny bit of hot pepper flakes* and cumin  (*organic)  $5  250/mL jar   
MICROGREENS:  $2 / bag
  Cilantro
  Kale
  Pea Shoots
  Radish
  Red Cabbage
  Sunflower Shoots
MICROGREEN MIX:  (arugula, basils, carrot, chard, kale, radish, red cabbage, spring salad mix)  $3 / bag
SPROUTS  $3 / bag
  Broccoli (just broccoli)
  Broccoli Brassica Blend (broccoli, broccoli raab, radish, mustard & arugula)
  Premium Mix  (Alfalfa, Red Clover, Broccoli, Arugula and Basil)
Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)  
Tomato Sauce  $6 /500mL jar  sealed
Tomatoes, frozen   $4 /4Cup package  great for sauces and soups
Tomatoes, Gardeners’ Delight (ping pong ball size) frozen whole  $3 pound



I'm happy to take back any jars when you're done with them, no lids please.

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  

Thanks.

Until next post, have a great every day. 

joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment