Thursday 16 August 2018

Let the Sauces Begin

I am overwhelmed with tomatoes and spaghetti squash and cucumbers and zucchini.  I have the dehydrators on every day and have made zucchini breads and zucchini muffins and am starting tomato sauces today.  I hoped for red peppers by now but the green ones will do for the first batch or batches.
There are so any spaghetti squashes and they are so large, I wondered if they were indeed spaghetti squashes, so we had one for dinner last night.  Oh yes.  Oh yum.  It was what it claimed to be and it was delicious.
We have our first watermelon!  I’ve tried to grow watermelon in the past without luck.  This is the year.
As some of you don’t have the means or the inclination to shred zucchini, I’m happy to provide you with two cup measurements of same, which is what most recipes call for.  I can pack them in a Seal-a-Meal wrap so you can freeze them. 
By the way, all of our tomatoes are field grown.  A couple of roque tomato plants have popped up in the greenhouses and I let them grow.  We’ll get some loveliness from them after the first (I can’t say it – starts with “F” and ends in “rost”) hits the field ones. 
I’m trying really hard to get some pickles and relishes made but am finding it hard to do with picking, watering, delivering and attempting to plant so I’ll keep selling those items until I have time. 
In order for me to get back to my kitchen duties, which I’m thoroughly enjoying, let me tell you what’s on our menu this week:
APPLES, organic, dehydrated  $2 / snack bag
BASIL:   Genovese, Greek, Large Leaf Italian or Purple  $3 / HUGE bunch
BASIL PLANTS   $3 each   Genovese, Greek, Large Leaf Italian, Purple, Thai
CABBAGE, green   $3 / head
CELERY   $2 / bunch   remember to freeze the leaves for future use
CUCUMBERS   $1 each  NEW ridiculous PRICE
EGGPLANT:   Striped or Purple  $4.00 / pound
GARLIC    2 each for a good sized one
HERBS, fresh:  Bay leavesChives, Citrus Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Thyme    $3 / bunch
PEPPERS
  Jalapeno  $0.50 each
SALSA, Fresh   $4 / 250mL jar  not sealed, meant to be eaten fresh
SPROUTS  $3 / 4oz bag
  Crunchy Bean Mix  (peas, lentils & garbanzos) 
  Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
  Spring Salad Mix (broccoli, radish, red clover & alfalfa)
SQUASH, Spaghetti  $3 each  NEW ridiculous PRICE
TOMATOES, Cherry   all colours, shapes and sizes  $3.50 / pound
TOMATOES, heirloom  all colours  $3 / pound  Order as many as you like, please, really
ZUCCHINI, green and yellow  $2 / pound  
ZUCCHINI, shredded  NEW  $2 / 2 cup pack


Day Brighteners is a non-certified organic farm where we practice sustainable methods free of any
GMOs, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or “cides” or any kind.
We use organic ingredients in our creations whenever possible. 

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  
Thanks. 

Until next post, have a great every day.
Jo        
joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment