Thursday 9 August 2018

"Bees" is the word


Is the word, is the word, is the word . . .   With so much sunshine, the weeds grow quite quickly and flower so there is a bee on almost every plant on our property.  I have been stung five times in the last week.   On Monday while moving water hoses around I changed from my flip flops to boots so I’d be less likely to get stung.  Nope, a bumble bee got caught in between my shin and my boot – OUCH!  Luckily for me I was at Dr. Shawn Yakimovich’s talk at the Backyard Apothecary Saturday and learned to grab a leaf or two of plantain (which happens to grow on every square foot of our property), rub it to create a “juice”, then apply it to the stung area.  I did this right away.  The sting stopped in a minute and I applied Dapis gel when I got back to the house.   It hurt again yesterday so I took some echinacea to combat any infection the bee might have left with me, then put some calendula ointment on it last night.  I think I got it right because the rash stopped getting larger and it doesn’t hurt anymore.

Tomatoes are changing colour rapidly so I have many for you this week.  I’m getting about 2 or 3 cukes a day now.  It’s a very good year for eggplant.  I’m still eager to try some eggplant recipes but have been a tad busy with all the other veggies.  The sweet peppers are large and green and are also available for you. 















Garlic is ready although I need to move it into the basement as it’s too humid in the garage to cure properly. 

Some green cabbages are large enough to grace your table.   The red cabbage is taking a little longer.

Zucchini plants are producing like crazy.  I can hardly pick them fast enough before the fruits become huge and I’m talking about hours between normal size and Z.O.U.S. (Zucchini of Unusual Size).  And it turns out I have more spaghetti squash plants than I realized – oh my.  Watermelons are doing well – can you believe it - and we should get musk melons in a few weeks.  Two other squash plants were entirely done in by the notorious squash vine borer – ugh.  There are some lovely green acorn squash and pumpkins growing. 

The basil just keeps growing and doing its wonderful smell thing. 

I find myself spending as much time in the kitchen these hot afternoons as I spend in the gardens in the cool mornings.  I think of salsa while picking tomatoes, tzatziki while picking cukes, hummus while trimming the curing garlic, slaw while picking cabbages, veggie tray for all of the above – you get the picture.  I made about 20 jars of salsa this long weekend and dehydrated zucchini, cucumber and eggplant slices.  I made tzatziki and hummus today and will make fresh salsa tomorrow.  


There’s definitely some zucchini baked goods in the foreseeable future. 

As promised I started microgreens for you.

The list keeps getting larger each week as you can see:

APPLES, organic, dehydrated  $2 / snack bag
BASIL:   Genovese, Greek, Large Leaf Italian or Purple  $3 / HUGE bunch
BASIL PLANTS   $3 each   Genovese, Greek, Large Leaf Italian or Purple
CABBAGE, green  NEW $3 / head
CELERY   $2 / bunch  and you can freeze the leaves for future use
CUCUMBERS   $2 each
EGGPLANT:   Striped or Purple  $4.00 / pound
GARLIC   NEW  $13 / pound
HERBS, fresh:  Bay leafChives, Citrus Thyme, Dill, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Thyme    $3 / bunch
HUMMUS  NEW chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, ground hot pepper, cumin  $5 / 250mL jar
  not sealed, to be eaten fresh
MICROGREENS  $2 / snack bag
  Arugula
  Broccoli
  Kale
  Mustard
  Radish
MICROGREENS MIX  $3 / sandwich bag 
ONIONS:   $3 / pound
  Sweet Spanish, Sweet White or a Mix
PEPPERS:  
  Green Sweet NEW  $4 / pound
  Jalapeno  $0.50 each
PESTO, Basil   (garlic, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, walnuts or almonds, lemon juice, pepper)  $5 / 125 mL jar
PESTO, Basil  NO CHEESE  (garlic, fresh basil, walnuts or almonds, cashews, lemon juice, pepper)  $5 / 125 mL jar
Red ORACH   $4 / bag
SALSA, Fresh   $4 / 250mL jar  not sealed, to be eaten fresh
SPROUTS  $3 / 4oz bag
  Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
  Premium Mix  (Alfalfa, Red Clover, Broccoli, Arugula and Basil)
  Spring Salad Mix (broccoli, radish, red clover & alfalfa)
SQUASH, Spaghetti NEW  $4 each
TOMATOES, Cherry   all colours, shapes and sizes  $3.50 / pound
TOMATOES, heirloom  all colours  $3 / pound
TZATZIKI  NEW  Biemond organic yogurt, cucumbers, garlic olive oil, chives, salt & pepper  $4 / 250mL jar    not sealed, to be eaten fresh
ZUCCHINI, green and yellow  $2 / pound  


Day Brighteners is a non-certified organic farm where we practice sustainable methods free of any
GMOs, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or “cides” or any kind.
We use organic ingredients in our creations whenever possible. 

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  
Thanks. 

Until next post, have a great every day.
Jo             
joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment