Wednesday 21 March 2018

Laptop, Sprouts, Garlic


Fortunately for me, although I was annoyed at the time, I was unable to get attention from anyone at Staples last Friday afternoon.  A Saturday morning search on the Net pointed me to a laptop sale at Staples, which prompted me to call them, leading me to pick up my new laptop for almost $100 less than I would have paid if anyone would have given me time in the store the day before.  It seems everything does happen for a reason.  It’s still in the box.  JoeComputer transferred my old info to the new and I might have time to play with it tomorrow afternoon. 

The extremely active, small but loud, Kindergarten little ones at the school planted more microgreens today.  Em stole the show with her illustrated talk about Compost.  Next week we’ll start a special project to be ready by Mother’s Day.   

Sprouts – the idea of starting the Broccoli Brassica Mix a day earlier worked nicely. 

Garlic  - Jennie, our main gardener is also an organic gardener on her personal time.  She has excellent garlic from her fall harvest, which I’ve been using for our hummus.  I told her you might like to buy some.  I’ll add it to my list below but I need to let you know it’s not mine, but it’s really nice and I know you love garlic.

I was pleased to make our first delivery of microgreens and sprouts to Gina at Little Sisterz in Spencerville this week.  I picked up some of her vegan lasagna for dinner tonight.  It looks delicious and smells wonderful as it warms up in the oven.  It will go nicely with the kale salad I’m making after I get this email to you.

basil plants taking off to
new heights

beautiful micros

hot peppers getting tall

trays upon trays waiting for spring

Add caption



Each week is different as we’ve been mixing the microgreens up a bit for variety and each week we sow new seeds for what’s to come once we can get outside.  We have a few trays on heat mats in the greenhouse with more herbs, flowers and lots of celery.  I was absolutely not expecting lows of -20C.  Despite this drop in temperature, I see some seeds have sprouted and spy more each time I spritz them.  We planted spinach, some mesclun mix and more pansies and transplanted some lettuces in the greenhouse.  Some rotten scoundrel of a rodent has been, not only digging to chew on the tulip bulbs we planted in November, but actually taking the big leaves and dragging them towards it’s exit path but isn’t able to pull them through, so just  leaves them – grrrrrr.  Those flowers are for the bees when they awaken from their sleep in the mason bee house. 



IMPORTANT  -  I’ll deliver Thursday next week before the long weekend.  As they take 6 days from start to finish, please let me know before Friday this week if you’d like me to grow sprouts for you.  Otherwise, I won’t do up more sprouts than I need for Arlington Five and Little Sisterz as they have standing orders.
 
This week’s menu contains the following:
GARLIC, Jennies: Korean Purple and Music  $10 / pound
GRANOLA:
 with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
 with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar  
HUMMUS   chickpeas*, tahini*, olive oil*, lemon juice*, roasted garlic*, a teeny bit of hot pepper flakes* and cumin  (*organic)  $5  250/mL jar   
MICROGREENS:  $2 / bag
  Arugula
  Radish
  Sunflower Shoots
MICROGREEN MIX:  (arugula, basils, chard, radish, mesclun mix, mizuna)  $3 / bag
SPROUTS  $3 / bag
  Broccoli Brassica Blend (broccoli, broccoli raab, radish, mustard & arugula)
  Premium Mix  (Alfalfa, Red Clover, Broccoli, Arugula and Basil)
  Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)  
Tomato Sauce  $6 /500mL jar  sealed
Tomatoes, frozen   $4 /4Cup package  great for sauces and soups
Tomatoes, Gardeners’ Delight (ping pong ball size) frozen whole  $3 pound

I look forward to receiving Your Special Order.  Call or email me with amounts you’d like and any questions.  

Thanks.

Until next post, have a great every day.  
Jo
joanne.daybrighteners@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment