Friday 20 January 2017

All in all a great day today, in the end

I woke up this morning feeling very sad because one of my little silkie chickens died last night.  It's not so much that she died, as I understand they just do that sometimes, it's that she was in my care and I missed that she was sick.  My guess is that she became egg bound and I missed the signs.  I've read that chickens are the masters of disguise as they don't want anyone or anything to know they're sick.  So in my defence, she didn't let me know until it was too late.  I saw she was by herself and puffed up, I set up a room for her in the house, with a heat mat under the "cat" cage which would be her bed for the night.  I brought her in, gave her a nice warm bath, which she loved.  When I dried her off, she started to flail about and her leg went straight, her neck flopped over, she let out a little squeak and opened her beak a bit, and she was gone.  Poor little Dolly.

The evening turned out better than it started as I received an email from Patrick Thibeault telling me his article about Day Brighteners Farm and the d'espellette peppers I grow for Dominic at Wilf & Ada's Scratch Diner was now on his website.   You can view it by clicking on My Favourite Links sidebar "Human + Recipe" or by going to https://www.humanandrecipe.com/humans/the-accidental-market-gardener.

I made basil pesto today with the basil I started from seed indoors a few weeks ago.
















I went to town to deliver garlic, granola, pesto and sprouts to my customers.


When I returned home my mailbox had, besides the latest Organic Life magazine which I love, all my seeds for the upcoming growing season!  Guess what I'll be doing over the next several days, weeks and months.

Now is the time to sign up for weekly or bi-weekly delivery while I'm planning the garden rows and how much and how many of everything to grow.  Wouldn't it be great to know you'll receive the freshest organic non-GMO vegetables and herbs on your doorstep without having to shop around when summer is meant for relaxing?

I like to call our delivery service a "CSA with a twist".  Besides what you request for your delivered box, if you're in need of more or less of a certain food on any given week, just let me know and I can arrange that change for you.  Sometimes people are coming to visit or you're going away to visit someone else and won't be home for a while.  But then again, if you're visiting someone, wouldn't you bring such wonderful goodness with you as a treat for your host(s)?

To get an idea of what your individual box would cost, see my last blog where I set out prices.

Let me know soon so I can include your specialty foods in my Garden Planner.  I also need to know in order to hire enough eager gardeners to keep things running smoothly and efficiently here.

Thanks.  Any questions, just ask.  I'm growing for You.

Jo






No comments:

Post a Comment