Friday 16 December 2016

Decisions Made Easy

  
Do I pick greens before Friday and before next week?  The answer is “yes”.  A forecast low of -21C tomorrow night tells me clearly that we might lose those beautiful Greens out there if I don’t.  So I will pick tomorrow.   The shoots are ready when they’re ready.  The sprouts are ready in the same fashion.  Several of my decisions are made for me, but I do have a little control over some foods. 

Also, the fact that $10 worth of organic apples simmered down to one and a half  jars of applesauce guides my decision that unless I can find organic apples for an incredible price or charge more per jar, I won’t be making and selling it this year.  On the other hand, Tom spotted half-price organic bananas at Rainbow Foods on Sunday.  Again, no problem with this one – banana “candies” are in the dehydrator right this minute. 

In the new year, we’ll be living off of indoor greens until the days get a tad longer.  I have no complaint here as the warmth of the house is much easier on the fingers. 

I started the hot peppers January 26 this year.  Our outdoor growing season is short as you know, so I’ll be starting the new ones the first week of January 2017.  The rest of the veggie starts will follow accordingly, just earlier than ever before.  I really need to get ahead of that first frost date in September next year. 

Some of you asked if I have tomato sauce for sale.   A little more than half the amount of last year’s tomatoes were grown here this year.  I sold almost all of them.  There were none left to freeze either.  I see this as a good thing, business wise.  No worries, there’s always something else to grow – like sprouts, herbs and micro- greens. 

I can deliver to you this Friday and again next Thursday.  I assume most people are off and running next Friday as well as I.  I’ll start Sunflower Shoots and Micros today to be ready for your Christmas celebrations. There might still be Greens left to pick next week, but tomorrow’s Greens may last through the Christmas weekend.   I’ll offer Onions, Dried Herb Mix for Stuffing and any available Celery at that time. 

Now it’s your turn.  I can make the granola you choose.  I now have pecans, almonds, cashews, walnuts and pistachios in the way of nuts.  The fruits I have are cherries, blueberries, cranberries and barberries.  Wow, google Health Benefits of Barberry – it’s an amazing fruit!  Tell me what you’d like in your granola and I’ll make it for you.
 
Then there are the following eats:

Garlic  $2 and $1 each or $10 / pound  (who wouldn’t be happy to receive garlic for Christmas?)
Herbs, fresh:  Citrus Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme  $2/bunch
Micro-greens NEW (a.k.a. little salad greens) $4 bag
Pea Shoots  $2 bag OR $4 bag
Sunflower Shoots  $2 bag OR $4 bag
  
Banana “Candies” NEW  $2.50 snack bag
Granola, with fruit  $8 /500mL jar  
Granola, with nuts and fruit  $10 /500mL jar

If you don’t have a standing order for Sprouts, please let me know right away if you’ll need any for next week.  I need to start them Saturday to be ready for Thursday delivery.  Thanks. 

Day Brighteners is a non-certified organic farm, where we practice sustainability and environmentally-friendly farming.  We use non-GMO seeds and products and take pride in all we do.  You are very welcome to drop by most days, but if it’s picking/packing/delivery day you take your chances on the tour.  Calling or emailing first is a good idea.  We do appreciate your business very much and would like to hear from you with any comments you have.  

If you'd like to purchase any of the above items, I'd be happy to provide them if available after our regular customers have ordered.  Perhaps you might like to be added to our Weekly Delivery List.  I send my email out every Wednesday, collect orders Thursdays and deliver Fridays (or another day convenient to us and you if you're not too close to home).  See Contact information and email or call me.  Thanks.
Until next post, have a great every day.  
Jo 

No comments:

Post a Comment