Thursday 25 February 2016

Good Thursday Morning

Just in case you think that I think it’s Wednesday which is when I always send out my emails, I know it’s Thursday.  I was sick yesterday, some kind of cold thing, or unless anyone saw me in a boxing ring Tuesday night and I don’t remember, because yesterday that’s what it felt like I’d been doing.  Everything doesn’t hurt (as much) today so here we go. 

I’ve been asked, so I’m finally offering to you our Dehydrated Tomatoes.  Dehydrated tomatoes can be added directly to soups and stews or placed directly on pizzas or nachos before baking.  Dehydrated tomatoes may also be rehydrated by soaking in water, wine, bouillon or vegetable juice to cover. They usually rehydrate within one-half hour to 2 hours, depending on their size.  If they`re soaked for more than 2 hours, they should be refrigerated. Using boiling liquid speeds up the soaking time. The soaking liquid may be used in cooking.
I also made some of the Dehydrated Tomatoes into a Powder which steps up the tomato flavour tremendously.  Tomato Powder is used like a spice to be sprinkled on hamburger patties as they are being formed, in salad dressings, sprinkled over fresh vegetable juice, in vegetable dips, an addition to pasta sauces of all sorts, including spaghetti sauce for a more intense tomato flavour, sprinkle into scrambled eggs before cooking, sprinkle over cottage cheese with cucumber and green onion, sea salt and sumac, add it to a more complex soup that is crying out for more tomato flavour . . . I`ve used it in place of tomato paste which I don`t usually have in my cupboard. 
Naturally antioxidant rich tomato powder boasts high levels of vitamins A, C, and K, making it a perfect choice for a healthier you! Tomato powder is hypersensitive to moisture, so store it in your refrigerator.  A little goes a long way and it lasts forever.  I just finished my jar made in the summer of 2014. 
I ended up with very few bags of Micro Salad Greens last week which were for sale at Heather`s.  The pea shoots and sunflower shoots were ready, and again flew off the shelf at Heather`s, so I`ve stepped up production of pea shoots and sunflower shoots to hopefully provide for everyone. 
This week, I was able to up-pot some peppers and herbs and am disappointed I didn`t get out to the greenhouses yesterday to plant some Salad Greens and Spinach, which was my plan.  I`ll get to it this weekend when I`m feeling much better. 
We have the following goodness for you this week:
Eggs  $2.50/half dozen
Herbs, fresh:  Thyme and Citrus Thyme$2 bunch   Basil and Cilantro are growing nicely inside right now.  
Tomatoes,  dehydrated  $2 bag 
Tomato Powder  $3  125mL jar  
Sprouts:  $3 bag
Ancient Eastern Blend (fenugreek, lentils, kamut & adzuki) 
Crunchy Bean Mix   (peas, lentils and garbanzos)  
Sandwich Booster (clover, alfalfa, radish and mustard) 
Spicy Lentil Crunch  (lentils, red clover, alfalfa, radish & mustard)
Spring Salad Mix  (broccoli, radish, alfalfa & clover)

Tomato Sauces:  $6 500mL jar   
Caesar (somewhat Celery-tastin, it’s good)
Crazy Green (made with ripe Green Zebra tomatoes)
Herb (made with fresh herbs from here, mostly oregano)
Hot (a few hot peppers tossed in)
Hot Plus (with ring-of-fire peppers)
Just Nice  (the right amount of everything, just a pleasant tomato/pizza sauce)
Warm (just a little bitty bit of hot pepper)
Vampire Buster plus Heat (deliciously garlicky with a kick)

If you'd like to purchase any of the above items, I'd be happy to provide them if available after our regular customers have ordered.  Perhaps you might like to be added to our Weekly Delivery List.  I send my email out every Wednesday (except this week), collect orders Thursdays and deliver Fridays (or another day convenient to us and you if you're not too close to home).  See Contact information and email or call me.  Thanks.

And remember some of Day Brighteners Farm produce can be found at Heather's Healthy Harvest in Kemptville.  

Until next post, have a great every day.
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment